International Coastal Cleanup Campaign
14 September – 31 October 2019
We all enjoy the summer on Greek beaches with blue waters and golden sand, pebbles or rocks. How many times, however, has this beautiful image been ruined by a cigarette butt sprouting from the sand, a straw that will be tangled on our feet, a plastic bag “flying” as the wind goes, and much more?
If you are annoyed by the sight of garbage that some people leave behind on beaches, then take the situation in your hands! Register your participation in the International Coastal Cleanup Campaign 2019, organizing a cleanup of a nearby beach, seabed, river bank or lake. More than 13 million people have participated to date in the International Coastal Cleanup Campaign, which is the largest voluntary event of its kind worldwide, having collected in total more than 100,000 tons of garbage. It is an initiative of the NGO Ocean Conservancy, while the Hellenic Marine Environment Protection Association – HELMEPA is the national coordinator for the 29th consecutive year in Greece!
Participants may include schoolchildren, parents, teachers, local and port authorities, companies, embassies, environmental organizations, mountaineering and nature clubs, diving centers, seafarers and sailing clubs, local associations, citizens’ volunteer groups and anyone who wishes to express their sensitivity towards our country’s marine and coastal environment.
The process to organize your voluntary cleanup is simple:
- Select the beach you want to clean with your colleagues, family or friends.
- Complete the registration form and send it firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not forget to include the coordinates of the area that you will clean so we can include your action in the campaign’s interactive e-map.
- Use the campaign’s e-poster to promote the action.
- Purchase the necessary equipment (bags, gloves etc))
- Enjoy your voluntary action and send us photos of the cleanup!
Volunteers are invited to contribute to the scientific study of the problem by recording collected litter, thus contributing valuable data on the amounts, types and sources of marine litter. This data is processed by HELMEPA and the results are disseminated to competent international bodies for further use. You may see the results of last year’s campaign in the Trash Free Seas 2018 Report of Ocean Conservancy here.
Children and cleanup coordinators will receive Commemorative Diplomas by HELMEPA.
Αdditionally, you are provided with the opportunity to:
- Have your recyclables collected (in the case of large amounts) by the Hellenic Recycling Recovery Corporation, which provides technical support to the Campaign.
- Register on the recognized community of HELMEPA for the on-line recording of litter via your mobile phone or tablet using the Marine Litter Watch application of the European Environment Agency (EEA). You may download the app for android and iPhone/iPad.
- Showcase your cleanup via HELMEPA’s Facebook page.
So, let us renew our commitment to Clean Seas and Beaches on the occasion of International Coastal Cleanup Campaign, spreading the message that we care about the sea and our future!
For further information or clarifications please contact HELMEPA’s Environmental Awareness Sector:
– Εmail: email@example.com
– Τel.: +30 210 93.41.233, +30 210 93.43.088