Action Month for the Marine Environment,
15 September – 15 October 2018
All of us enjoyed the beautiful Greek beaches for yet another summer! Surely, however, most of you encountered litter on the beaches and were annoyed by the habits of some, who consider the seas and oceans as a vast garbage receptacle. Scientists estimate that 8 million tons of plastic waste ends up in the marine environment every year and if we don’t take urgent action, it is estimated that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the seas and oceans than fish.
Nevertheless, there is still hope if we all together help towards addressing this global hazard. Approximately 13 million people have participated to date in the International Coastal Cleanup campaign, which is the largest voluntary event of its kind worldwide. It is an initiative of the Washington DC-based NGO Ocean Conservancy, while the Hellenic Marine Environment Protection Association – HELMEPA is the national coordinator for the 28th consecutive year in Greece!
Take the situation… in your hands NOW!
Register your participation in HELMEPA’s Action Month for the Marine Environment between 15 September – 15 October 2018, which is carried out in the framework of the International Coastal Cleanup campaign, with National Geographic as our Strategic Communications Partner.
Participants may include schoolchildren, parents, teachers, local and port authorities, companies, embassies, environmental organizations, mountaineering and nature clubs, diving centers, seafarers and sailing clubs, local associations, citizens’ volunteer groups and anyone who wishes to express their sensitivity towards our country’s marine and coastal environment.
The process for organizing your voluntary cleanup is simple:
- Select the beach you want to cleanup with your colleagues, family or friends.
- Complete the registration form hereunder do not forget to include the coordinates of the area that you will clean so we can include your action in the campaign’s interactive e-map.
- Use the campaign’s e-poster that you will receive from HELMEPA to promote the action locally by adding the details of your cleanup and your organization’s or company’s logo.
- Purchase the necessary equipment (bags, gloves etc).
- Enjoy your voluntary action and send us before and after photos from the cleanup!
Cleanup Registration Form
Αlso, volunteers are invited to contribute to the scientific study of the problem by recording collected litter thus contributing valuable data on the amounts, types and sources of marine litter. This data is processed by HELMEPA and the results are disseminated to competent national and international bodies for further use. You may see the results of last year’s campaign in the Trash Free Seas 2017 Report of Ocean Conservancy here.
Additionally, by registering your participation in the Action Month for the Marine Environment, your cleanup will be placed under the auspices of HELMEPA and you will receive the following:
- Detailed guidelines for organizing your cleanup;
- Data Card to record your findings;
- The campaign’s e-poster to promote/project your event and other information material;
- Commemorative participation diplomas for volunteers up to the age of 18 and the Coordinators of cleanups.
Additionally, you are provided with the opportunity to:
- Have your recyclables collected (in the case of large amounts) by the Hellenic Recycling Recovery Corporation, which provides technical support to the campaign;
- Register on the recognized community of HELMEPA for the on-line recording of litter via your mobile phone or tablet using the Marine Litter Watch application of the European Environment Agency (EEA). Here you may download the app for android and i-phone/i-pad.
- Project your cleanup via HELMEPA’s Facebook page.
- Receive on a monthly basis the “Cadets’ Periscope” e-bulletin containing interesting marine-related articles for youth
For further information or clarifications please contact HELMEPA’s Environmental Awareness Sector:
Tel.: +30 210 93 43 088