European Week for Waste Reduction, 16-24 November 2019
All of Europe together in the fight for waste reduction
With the slogan ‘Change your habits, reduce your waste’, local and public authorities, associations, businesses, collective recycling systems, educational institutions and sensitized citizens are taking part in the European Week for Waste Reduction which will last from Saturday, November 16th until November the 24th and suggests new ways of reducing waste, reusing products and recycling materials.
The European Week for Waste Reduction is the largest European campaign of its kind and the Hellenic Recycling Agency (HRA) is the national coordinator of actions towards waste prevention that are implemented through the European EWWR platform.
People interested should organize specific actions, focusing on the threefold ‘Reduce, Reuse and Recycle’.
For this to happen, workshops, exhibitions, competitions, briefings or events are being held in order to raise awareness and educate the public on waste reduction. Last year, 14,000 such actions were implemented during the European Week for Waste Reduction. “We look forward to your participation with even more actions,” says HRA.
10 + 1 ideas to reduce our waste:
- We choose reusable bags (cloth, plastic, etc.) for shopping
- We use reusable mugs, glasses and straws for coffee, water and other beverages
- We avoid buying plastic cutlery and disposable plates
- We learn how to compost at home
- We avoid buying products in plastic wrap and prefer buying “bulk”
- We use rechargeable batteries
- We prefer tap water rather than buying plastic bottles
- We limit the use of our printer
- We donate our old clothes and shoes
- We repair damaged products or appliances
- We recycle!
At HELMEPA, in our effort to promote actions in the context of the European Week for Waste Reduction, we will put a lot of emphasis on this topic during student and teacher guided tours of the permanent environmental exhibitions in Paleo Faliro and Piraeus on the week of November 18-22, urging them to take part in this initiative.
We also run a Contest on our Facebook page and draw a Lenovo Tablet E10 in 3 simple steps!
✔ WRITE in the comments your favorite reusable product
✔ LIKE HELMEPA’s Facebook page
✔ SHARE the Contest among your Facebook friends!
The contest will end on November 26th and the winner will be announced on HELMEPA’s Facebook page!
We look forward to your participation!